Wednesday, February 2, 2011

He Will Make All Things Beautiful

Hi, all!

Thanks so much for stopping by. Are you keeping warm? Are you staying in and stamping up a storm (pun intended)?

Well, I've been holed up working on reorganizing my craft room (not moving along very fast - just too much stuff!), stamping, and other things to keep busy. Our Daily Bread Designs is having a challenge entitled "the blues," that caught my eye, so here is my card for that challenge (ODBDSLC46).


I believe most people (except maybe the winter skiers and slope owners) are done with snow this year, don't you? I know that the gray skies tend to make me more subdued, to say the least! That's what came to mind with this challenge - looking for sun (and bright hope) in the drabness of these snow-laden days. After all, when the sun shines through, we feel rejuvenated and happier, don't you agree? And that's what I look forward to through the ice and snow of these days.

I've been really reflective lately (being indoors on cloudy days will do that to a person! HA!)and this challenge's timing gives me a chance to share some of that reflection through artwork and this blog, if you'll indulge me for a moment! With this card, the blue I used came from Basic Grey's Periphery paper (love this retired pad of paper!), which illustrates a swallow with its beak pointing up. That indicated to me the hope of a brighter day. Surrounding the main image are borders of bright, crisp white stamped with an EK Success border punch. The sentiment, from ODBD's set, "Scripture Collection I," was stamped on additional Periphery paper in SU Bordering Blue ink, and two antique brads from SU were applied. The image, the sentiment, and the butterflies were all popped up for dimension.

The heart stamp is called "Music of Love" by Stampendous. Here, I wanted to capture the idea of hope, which the heart represents, and the sweet songs of the bird. The Martha Stewart punch was used to punch the butterflies from more Perifery paper, and each butterfly has a body of small pearls. They were placed to indicate movement upward toward the sun (which I know is still there and will be peeking through very soon!), and, again, is my interpretation of hope for a "brighter" day! All of this, then, was mounted on 6x6 white cardstock.

Along, then, with hope for sunny days is the thought that God is always present through the storm and gray clouds of our lives. I think the poet and Quaker, John Greenleaf Whittier, expresses these thoughts well:

“I pray for faith, I long to trust; I listen with my heart, and hear A Voice without a sound: 'Be just, Be true, be merciful, revere The Word within thee: God is near! 'A light to sky and earth unknown Pales all their lights: a mightier force Than theirs the powers of Nature own, And, to its goal as at its source, His Spirit moves the Universe. 'Believe and trust. Through stars and suns, Through life and death, through soul and sense, His wise, paternal purpose runs; The darkness of His providence Is star-lit with benign intents.' O joy supreme! I know the Voice Like none beside on earth or sea; Yea, more, O soul of mine, rejoice, By all that He requires of me, I know what God himself must be.... I fear no more. The clouded face Of Nature smiles; through all her things Of time and space and sense I trace The moving of the Spirit’s wings, And hear the song of hope she sings.”

If you've read this far, God bless you for your stamina and thanks so much for indulging me in my reverie. Remember, Punxatawney Phil says Spring in six weeks! The sun is coming! Keep warm and have faith!!! :-)

5 comments:

  1. Kris what a lovely card !!! We are all feeling the grayness of the season I am afraid BUT we know that soon it will be a rebirth of all things,so take heart and rejoice. The birdies will be singing their beautiful songs very soon!! Great reverie too.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww, such a sweet bird, I love it, and your beautiful bg paper, and butterflies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris, this is such a beautiful card and one of my favorite scriptures as well!! Thanks for taking the time to play along in this weeks Shining the Light Challenge over at ODBD! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful card Kris! What a great scripture and choice of dp to highlight it. Thanks for joining the ODBD Shining the Light challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris, I wish I had your creativity and talent! I do share your appreciation for Whittier's words. In that we're alike!

    ReplyDelete